Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ping-Pong and Balance

I was playing some serious ping-pong while at my parents' for the holidays. I must say that ping-pong is probably my favorite sport.

But while I was playing I was thinking that it's a pretty great sport to keep your balance and coordination in good working order. You've got the ball coming at you, your brain has to identify the ball, notice where it's going, and then tell the muscles of your arm where to move the paddle.

At the same time, it also has to control your legs and torso to move you into the right position and keep you balanced. That's a whole lot of stuff going on! This is just what the brain is doing when you're walking down the street. Survey, process, act.

So in addition to being a fun game, it's also a great coordination workout. Try and see if you can find a ping-pong table in your area and start playing.

No comments: